Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Scratch Project




This sounds really, really bad but I didn’t really notice much of a difference between the flat and continues color tones. Mostly I just did what I always do, find a color scheme that I think works and ran with it. Of all three my favorite is the shadow of Haystack rock. It proved to be the most challenging but also the most fun. I was going for something like the sun setting behind it, I think it came out really well.

I chose colors that I thought complemented each other well, I didn’t worry so much about how anyone else thought they would look, only focused on what I thought looked good and worked with it. For example, my last piece started as just a bunch of haphazardly placed red blocks on a green background. From there I shrunk all the blocks down, and then copied the layer over and over again until I filled up the op left hand corner, then I just merged all the layers into one and inversed it into the bottom right hand corner. It became a sort of flag that I really liked.

Obviously some colors worked better than others but I can’t really tell you why. Sometimes the so called “complementary” colors looked the worst together. So after a certain amount of trial and error I just came up with a color set I liked and went with it. I wasn’t too focused on what colors looked right together as with what shapes I could make, what designs I could come up with and what little creations I could mash together to make a good composition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment